The 2011- 2012 data that was published by Statistics South Africa showed that almost half (47.8%) of the 20 980 divorces in 2011 were marriages that lasted for less than 10 years and 54,7% of the 20 980 divorces had children younger than 18 years . These statistics are to say the least overwhelming especially when you consider that all couples were once on honeymoon promising endless love to one another. It is an unfortunate fact that divorce has become commonplace in our society. The pain and anguish this has created in a divorce has a ripple effect on the family unit. Children are often used as pawns between their father and mother. Getting divorced may be necessary in cases when a relationship cannot be salvaged. However, the couple should keep in mind that the entire family unit will be affected by a divorce and however necessary it may be for the sanity of all parties to remain, one should be mindful of approaching this process with a tremendous amount of care, professional guidance and realism.
At Schoeman Attorneys, we evaluate each case on its own merits and provide you with an outcome to suit not only you, but your entire family unit.
Apply for a divorce here:
Certain aspects to bear in mind before you apply for a divorce:
- You do not have any dependants (children) from the marriage? Or
- You have dependants from the marriage but you and your spouse have agreed upon how maintenance will be paid and with whom the minor children will reside.
- You and your spouse are in agreement to divorce and both parties have also agreed on signing a Settlement agreement.
- Your spouse lives in South Africa.
- You know where your spouse lives and how he/she can be contacted.
If you have answered “Yes” to all of the above, contact us for a consultation.